psql: Make SSL info display more compact

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psql: Make SSL info display more compact
Date: 2022-02-28 09:02:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Currently, when you connect with psql over SSL, you get a display like
this:

psql (15devel)
SSL connection (protocol: TLSv1.3, cipher: TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, bits: 256, compression: off)
Type "help" for help.

Since support for SSL compression has been removed from PostgreSQL, it
doesn't seem sensible to display it anymore. And while we're there, I
think the bits information is redundant, since it can be derived from
the cipher suite, either because it's part of the name (as in the
example) or by looking it up somewhere. So I propose that we make this
display a bit more compact like this:

psql (15devel)
SSL connection (protocol: TLSv1.3, cipher: TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384)
Type "help" for help.

See attached patch.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-psql-Make-SSL-info-display-more-compact.patch text/plain 1.4 KB