Re: Avoid stuck of pbgench due to skipped transactions

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Avoid stuck of pbgench due to skipped transactions
Date: 2021-09-08 14:40:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021/09/07 18:24, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> Hello Fujii-san,
>
>> Stop counting skipped transactions under -T as soon as the timer is exceeded. Because otherwise it can take a very long time to count all of them especially when quite a lot of them happen with unrealistically high rate setting in -R, which would prevent pgbench from ending immediately. Because of this behavior, note that there is no guarantee that all skipped transactions are counted under -T though there is under -t. This is OK in practice because it's very unlikely to happen with realistic setting.
>
> Ok, I find this text quite clear.

Thanks for the check! So attached is the updated version of the patch.

>> One question is; which version do we want to back-patch to?
>
> If we consider it a "very minor bug fix" which is triggered by somehow unrealistic options, so I'd say 14 & dev, or possibly only dev.

Agreed. Since it's hard to imagine the issue happens in practice,
we don't need to bother back-patch to the stable branches.
So I'm thinking to commit the patch to 15dev and 14.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center