Set maintenance work mem for pg_restore

From: Deron <fecastle(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Set maintenance work mem for pg_restore
Date: 2007-12-18 20:30:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

I see a lot of suggestions to increase maintenance work mem if running
pg_restore. This is to help with the index creation and initial sort from
what I understand. A few tests I ran does show this helps.
Does anyone know if there is a way to only "temporarily" set this setting?
I have some DBs that are bloated and I have a script to run off hours (I
don't like working late). This uses pg_dump and pg_restore to recover the
disk space. I found that this is usually faster than 'vacuum full', and is
useful in some cases.

I know I can set this for my current session dynamically "set
maintenance_work_mem = xxxxx", but it seems that the only way I can do this
for pg_restore is to update the configuration, reload and then change it
back when the script completes and reload again.

Thanks

Deron