Re: Using tables in other PostGreSQL database

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using tables in other PostGreSQL database
Date: 2008-03-31 09:35:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe wrote:

> > > Even in Oracle you don't have cross db queries.
> >
> > On the contrary you do. You can refer to objects in another
database by
> > OBJECT_NAME(at)DBLINK_NAME, very useful to mix local and remote data
in no
> > time. DBLINK_NAME represents a connection to another database.
> > What you don't have is OTHERDB.OBJECT_NAME to refer to a different
> > database within the same instance, because there is only one
database
> > in an Oracle instance.
>
> What you are talking about are cross schema references, not cross db.

No I'm definitively referring to cross db, not cross schema.
See this piece from Oracle documentation:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10759/sql_elem
ents009.htm#i27761

> Oracle instances can have > 1 database, it's just not that common. I
> know this because we had an internal instance at the last company I
> worked at that had 2 databases in it, each with their own schemas.
Or
> maybe they somehow had two instances of oracle running on the same
> box.

CREATE DATABASE is to Oracle what initdb is to PG, it's something you
do once per instance. So no, an Oracle instance doesn't have >1
databases, just like a PG instance doesn't have >1 data directories.

Regards,

--
Daniel
PostgreSQL-powered mail user agent and storage: