Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks
Date: 2022-03-03 17:38:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/3/22 12:23 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 10:45:42AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On 02.03.22 16:45, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>>> By that argument, we should have kept "password" (plain) as an
>>> authentication method.
>>
>> For comparison, the time between adding md5 and removing password was 16
>> years. It has been 5 years since scram was added.
>
> Uh, when did we remove "password". I still see it mentioned in
> pg_hba.conf. Am I missing something?

I may have explained this wrong. The protocol still supports "plain" but
we removed the ability to store passwords in plaintext:

"Remove the ability to store unencrypted passwords on the server

"The password_encryption server parameter no longer supports off or
plain. The UNENCRYPTED option is no longer supported in CREATE/ALTER
USER ... PASSWORD. Similarly, the --unencrypted option has been removed
from createuser. Unencrypted passwords migrated from older versions will
be stored encrypted in this release. The default setting for
password_encryption is still md5."

Jonathan

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/release/10.0/