Re: Add Information during standby recovery conflicts

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com, sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com, alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org, masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add Information during standby recovery conflicts
Date: 2020-12-15 07:45:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020/12/15 15:40, Fujii Masao wrote:

> On 2020/12/15 12:04, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
>> At Tue, 15 Dec 2020 02:00:21 +0900, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote in
>>> Thanks for the review! I'm thinking to wait half a day before
>>> commiting
>>> the patch just in the case someone may object the patch.
>>
>> Sorry for coming late.  I have looked only the latest thread so I
>> should be missing many things so please ignore if it was settled in
>> the past discussion.
>>

>> It emits messages like the follows;
>>
>> [40509:startup] LOG:  recovery still waiting after 1021.431 ms: recovery conflict on lock
>> [40509:startup] DETAIL:  Conflicting processes: 41171, 41194.
>> [40509:startup] CONTEXT:  WAL redo at 0/3013158 for Standby/LOCK: xid 510 db 13609 rel 16384
>>
>> IFAIK DETAIL usually shows ordinary sentences so the first word is
>> capitalized and ends with a period. But it is not a sentence so
>> following period looks odd.  a searcheing the tree for errdetails
>> showed some anomalies.
>>
>> src/backend/parser/parse_param.c                      errdetail("%s versus %s",
>> src/backend/jit/llvm/llvmjit_error.cpp              errdetail("while in LLVM")));
>> src/backend/replication/logical/tablesync.c                  errdetail("The error was: %s", res->err)));
>> src/backend/tcop/postgres.c                 errdetail("prepare: %s", pstmt->plansource->query_string);
>> src/backend/tcop/postgres.c         errdetail("abort reason: recovery conflict");
>>
>> and one similar occurance:
>>
>> src/backend/utils/adt/dbsize.c                      errdetail("Invalid size unit: \"%s\".", strptr),
>>
>> I'm not sure, but it seems to me at least the period is unnecessary
>> here.
>
> Since Error Message Style Guide in the docs says "Detail and hint messages:
> Use complete sentences, and end each with a period.", I think that a period
> is necessary here. No?
>

>> +            bool        maybe_log_conflict =
>> +            (standbyWaitStart != 0 && !logged_recovery_conflict);
>>
>> odd indentation.
>
> This is the result of pgindent run. I'm not sure why pgindent indents
> that way, but for now I'd like to follow pgindent.
>

>> +        /* Also, set the timer if necessary */
>> +        if (logging_timer)
>> +        {
>> +            timeouts[cnt].id = STANDBY_LOCK_TIMEOUT;
>> +            timeouts[cnt].type = TMPARAM_AFTER;
>> +            timeouts[cnt].delay_ms = DeadlockTimeout;
>> +            cnt++;
>> +        }
>>
>> This doesn't consider spurious wakeup. I'm not sure it actually
>> happenes but we usually consider that.  That is since before this
>> patch, but ProcWaitForSignal()'s comment says that:
>>
>>>   * As this uses the generic process latch the caller has to be robust against
>>>   * unrelated wakeups: Always check that the desired state has occurred, and
>>>   * wait again if not.

> [...]

Hmm... commit ac22929a26 seems to make the thing worse. Before that commit,
other wakeup request like SIGHUP didn't cause ProcWaitForSignal() to
actually wake up in ResolveRecoveryConflictWithBufferPin(). Because such
other wakeup requests use the different latch from that that
ProcWaitForSignal() waits on.

But commit ac22929a26 changed the startup process code so that they
both use the same latch. Which could cause ProcWaitForSignal() to be
more likely to wake up because of the requests other than deadlock_timeout.

Maybe we need to revert commit ac22929a26.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center