Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial - arch-dev.sgml

From: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial - arch-dev.sgml
Date: 2021-04-05 13:18:44
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On 04.04.21 19:02, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2021-Apr-04, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
>
>> The small patch 'arch-dev.sgml.20210121.diff' contains only some clearing up
>> concerning the used terminology and its alignments with the glossary. The
>> patch was rejected by Heikki.
> This comment is not helpful, because it's not obvious where would I find
> that patch. Also, you say "the patch was rejected by Heikki" but
> upthread he said he committed it. His comment was that he left out some
> paragraphs because of a style issue. Did you re-post that patch after
> fixing the style issues? If you did, I couldn't find it.
>

>> The latest version of the huge patch '0013-architecture.patch' is valid and
>> doesn't contain merge conflicts.
> Yeah, OK, but I have to dive deep in the thread to find it. Please post
> it again. When you have a patch series, please post it as a whole every
> time -- that makes it easier for a committer to review it.
>
> You seem to be making your life hard by not using git to assist you. Do
> you know you can have several commits in a branch of your own, rebase it
> to latest master, merge master to it, rebase on top of master, commit
> fixups, "rebase -i" and change commit ordering to remove unnecessary
> fixup commits, and so on? Such techniques are extremely helpful when
> dealing with a patch series. When you want to post a new version to the
> list, you can just do "git format-patch -v14 origin/master" to produce a
> set of patch files. You don't need to manually give names to your patch
> files, or come up with a versioning scheme. Just increment the argument
> to -v by +1 each time you (or somebody else) posts a new version of the
> patch series.

The thread contains a sequence of files '0001_architecture.patch' to
'0013_architecture.patch' (with gaps in the numbering) created by me and
other authors over the last 12 month. This is what I call the 'huge
patch'. Indeed, the files are created more or less manually without the
format-patch option. I welcome the reference to rebase and format-patch
and I'm considering to use it in the future.

In addition to this chain Erik introduced in November within the same
thread some changes to the chapter "Overview of Query Handling", which
subsequently was expanded by Heikki and me with the sequence of
'arch-dev.sgml.xxxxx.diff' files. This is what I call the 'small patch'.
It's independent from the 'huge patch'. That 'small patch' is partly
committed by Heikki. In case that a committer gives the uncommitted part
a second chance, I append a patch. Because I'm not a native English
speaker, every improvement in the linguistic is highly welcome.

--

Jürgen Purtz

Attachment Content-Type Size
0013-architecture.patch text/x-patch 228.0 KB
0001-Aligning-terms-to-Glossary.patch text/x-patch 3.5 KB