Re: Add bump memory context type and use it for tuplesorts

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, John Naylor <johncnaylorls(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add bump memory context type and use it for tuplesorts
Date: 2024-04-07 20:35:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/7/24 14:37, David Rowley wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Apr 2024 at 22:05, John Naylor <johncnaylorls(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 6, 2024 at 7:37 PM David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>>
>> I'm planning on pushing these, pending a final look at 0002 and 0003
>>> on Sunday morning NZ time (UTC+12), likely in about 10 hours time.
>>
>> +1
>
> I've now pushed all 3 patches. Thank you for all the reviews on
> these and for the extra MemoryContextMethodID bit, Matthias.
>
>> I haven't looked at v6, but I've tried using it in situ, and it seems
>> to work as well as hoped:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CANWCAZZQFfxvzO8yZHFWtQV%2BZ2gAMv1ku16Vu7KWmb5kZQyd1w%40mail.gmail.com
>
> I'm already impressed with the radix tree work. Nice to see bump
> allowing a little more memory to be saved for TID storage.
>
> David

There seems to be some issue with this on 32-bit machines. A couple
animals (grison, mamba) already complained about an assert int
BumpCheck() during initdb, I get the same crash on my rpi5 running
32-bit debian - see the backtrace attached.

I haven't investigated, but I'd considering it works on 64-bit, I guess
it's not considering alignment somewhere. I can dig more if needed.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company