Re: make dist using git archive

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make dist using git archive
Date: 2024-03-24 12:03:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 22.03.24 18:29, Tristan Partin wrote:
> On Thu Mar 21, 2024 at 3:44 AM CDT, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Here is an updated version of this patch set.
>
> You should add 'disabler: true' to the git find_program in Meson. If Git
> doesn't exist on the system with the way your patch is currently
> written, the targets would be defined, even though they would never
> succeed.

Ok, added. (I had it in there in an earlier version, but I think I
misread one of your earlier messages and removed it.)

> You may also want to make sure that we are actually in a Git repository.
> I don't think git-archive works outside one.

Then git archive will print an error. That seems ok.

> Re the autoclrf, is this something we could throw in a .gitattributes
> files?

We don't want to apply it to all git commands, just this one in this
context.

> I would suggest poisoning `meson dist` in the following way:
>
> if not meson.is_subproject()
[...]
>     meson.add_dist_script(perl, '-e', 'exit 1')
> endif

Good idea, added that.

>> I have extracted the freebsd CI script fix into a separate patch
>> (0002).   I think this is useful even if we don't take the full CI
>> patch (0003).
>
> 0002 looks pretty reasonable to me.

Committed that one in the meantime.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0001-make-dist-uses-git-archive.patch text/plain 6.0 KB
v5-0002-ci-Add-dist-building.patch text/plain 2.3 KB