Re: Intel's X25-M SSD

From: "Scott Carey" <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Intel's X25-M SSD
Date: 2008-09-24 04:25:26
Lists: pgsql-performance

A fantastic review on this issue appeared in July:
http://www.alternativerecursion.info/?p=106
And then the same tests on a RiData SSD show that they are the same drive
with the same characteristics:
http://www.alternativerecursion.info/?p=276

Most blamed it on MLC being "slow" to write compared to SLC. Technically,
it is slower, but not by a whole lot -- we're talking a low level difference
of tens of microseconds. A 250ms latency indicates an issue with the
controller chip. SLC and MLC share similar overall performance
characteristics at the millisecond level. The truth is that MLC designs
were low cost designs without a lot of investment in the controller chip.
The SLC designs were higher cost designs that focused early on on making
smarter and more expensive controllers. SLC will always have an advantage,
but it isn't going to be by several orders of magnitude like it was before
Intel's drive appeared. Its going to be by factors of ~2 to 4 on random
writes in the long run. However, for all flash based SSD devices, there are
design tradeoffs to make. Maximizing writes sacrifices reads, maximizing
random access performance reduces streaming performance and capacity. We'll
have a variety of devices with varying characteristics optimal for different
tasks.