Re: Effects of setting linux block device readahead size

From: "Scott Carey" <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Gabrielle Roth" <gorthx(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Effects of setting linux block device readahead size
Date: 2008-09-10 18:09:32
Lists: pgsql-performance

I am planning my own I/O tuning exercise for a new DB and am setting up some
fio profiles. I appreciate the work and will use some of yours as a
baseline to move forward. I will be making some mixed mode fio profiles and
running our own application and database as a test as well. I'll focus on
ext3 versus xfs (Linux) and zfs (Solaris) however, and expect to be working
with sequential transfer rates many times larger than your test and am
interested in performance under heavy concurrency -- so the results may
differ quite a bit.

I'll share the info I can.