Re: Effects of setting linux block device readahead size

From: "Scott Carey" <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Gabrielle Roth" <gorthx(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Effects of setting linux block device readahead size
Date: 2008-09-10 16:26:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

How does that readahead tunable affect random reads or mixed random /
sequential situations? In many databases, the worst case scenarios aren't
when you have a bunch of concurrent sequential scans but when there is
enough random read/write concurrently to slow the whole thing down to a
crawl. How the file system behaves under this sort of concurrency

I would be very interested in a mixed fio profile with a "background writer"
doing moderate, paced random and sequential writes combined with concurrent
sequential reads and random reads.

-Scott