Re: Images in Database

From: "M(dot) Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: Reshat Sabiq <sabiq(at)purdue(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Images in Database
Date: 2004-03-27 19:11:31
Lists: pgsql-novice
At 12:34 PM -0600 3/27/04, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
>I think unless the DB provides some image-searching capabilities,
>it's better to store them as paths to save the space. A lot of
>storage will be wasted otherwise. Isn't that so?

PostgreSQL has no limit on storage except for the hard disk's limit.
You shouldn't worry about that.

The trouble with paths is that you must be able to resolve them from
any client that connects to your database.   It's also harder to move
the entire database afterwards if you must, or to otherwise
reorganize your directories.

Having everything in your database is much much cleaner and will save
you a lot of headache when you modify your solution in a next
programming round.

Cheers,

Marc