Re: Images in Database

From: "M(dot) Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: Reshat Sabiq <sabiq(at)purdue(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Images in Database
Date: 2004-03-28 23:33:13
Lists: pgsql-novice
>Then the only reasons i can see to not store images in a DB, and the
>following:
>ii. If there are values that exceed the type limit (1GB for bytea);
>this is unlikely.
>iii. I'm also seeing that BLOBs have some security concerns, which
>probably can be worked around, but an alternative would be to rely
>on the file system for permissions, etc.

ii isn't really a concern since you can store your bytea data in
several chunks over several related records.  Personally I use chunks
of 500k to minimize RAM consumption when escaping.

For the same reason I don't recommend using the large object
mechanism since it is so easily imitated with bytea in chunks spread
over several related records, which avoids the security concerns--and
has a few more advantages.

Both of these remarks are in the pgSQL4RB manual (aliacta.com) in the
discussion on binary data.  Didn't I start out on this thread by
recommending you to read that?  ;-)  (Well, the long way works too.)

Marc