From: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nisha Moond <nisha(dot)moond412(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Date: 2024-03-29 12:21:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 02:35:22PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 1:08 PM Bertrand Drouvot
> <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > Thanks for the idea !
> > >
> > > I considered about this. I think advancing the "hidden" slot on promotion may be a
> > > bit late, because if we cannot reach the consistent point after advancing the
> > > "hidden" slot, then it means we may need to remove all the synced slots as we
> > > are not sure if they are usable(will not loss data) after promotion.
> >
> > What about advancing the hidden slot during the sync cycles then?
> >
> > > The current approach is to mark such un-consistent slot as temp and persist
> > > them once it reaches consistent point, so that user can ensure the slot can be
> > > used after promotion once persisted.
> >
> > Right, but do we need to do so for all the sync slots? Would a single hidden
> > slot be enough?
> >

> Even if we mark one of the synced slots as persistent without reaching
> a consistent state, it could create a problem after promotion. And,
> how a single hidden slot would serve the purpose, different synced
> slots will have different restart/confirmed_flush LSN and we won't be
> able to perform advancing for those using a single slot. For example,
> say for first synced slot, it has not reached a consistent state and
> then how can it try for the second slot? This sounds quite tricky to
> make work. We should go with something simple where the chances of
> introducing bugs are lesser.

Yeah, better to go with something simple.

+ if (remote_slot->confirmed_lsn != slot->data.confirmed_flush)
+ {
+ /*
+ * By advancing the restart_lsn, confirmed_lsn, and xmin using
+ * fast-forward logical decoding, we ensure that the required snapshots
+ * are saved to disk. This enables logical decoding to quickly reach a
+ * consistent point at the restart_lsn, eliminating the risk of missing
+ * data during snapshot creation.
+ */
+ pg_logical_replication_slot_advance(remote_slot->confirmed_lsn,
+ found_consistent_point);

In our case, what about skipping WaitForStandbyConfirmation() in
pg_logical_replication_slot_advance()? (It could go until the
RecoveryInProgress() check in StandbySlotsHaveCaughtup() if we don't skip it).

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team