Re: BUG #18297: Error when adding a column to a parent table with complex inheritance

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tender Wang <tndrwang(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18297: Error when adding a column to a parent table with complex inheritance
Date: 2024-01-24 06:20:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 11:19:57AM +0800, Tender Wang wrote:
> Your reported two issues have different code path, and duplicates do not
> processed.
>
> I am considering whether there is a unified way of handling this, otherwise
> each one will have to be dealt with separately.

Yes, I don't agree with what you have posted on [1], inventing a new
way to handle what is basically a way to remove duplicated
ObjectAddresses, and that's what we use in the DropRole() path.

The problem reported on this thread has now been fixed as of
bb812ab0917e, so why not moving the rest to a different thread with a
proper subject? This will attract a better audience for the topic
dealt with.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAHewXN=dPJDvaoME0G9vyemUmY-TpDuqQfcHJRWfUvSWX1p=rQ@mail.gmail.com
--
Michael