Re: Autogenerate some wait events code and documentation

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Autogenerate some wait events code and documentation
Date: 2023-08-29 06:41:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 08:17:10AM +0200, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:
> Agree that done that way one could easily grep the events from the
> source code and match them with wait_event_names.txt. Then I don't
> think the "search" issue in the code is still a concern with the
> current proposal.

It could still be able to append WAIT_EVENT_ to the first column of
the file. I'd just rather keep it shorter.

> FWIW, I'm getting:
>
> $ git am v3-000*
> Applying: Rename wait events with more consistent camelcase style
> Applying: Remove column for wait event names in wait_event_names.txt
> error: patch failed: src/backend/utils/activity/wait_event_names.txt:261
> error: src/backend/utils/activity/wait_event_names.txt: patch does not apply
> Patch failed at 0002 Remove column for wait event names in wait_event_names.txt

That may be a bug in the matrix because of bb90022, as git am can be
easily pissed. I am attaching a new patch series, but it does not
seem to matter here.

I have double-checked the docs generated, while on it, and I am not
seeing anything missing, particularly for the LWLock and Lock parts..
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Rename-wait-events-with-more-consistent-camelcase.patch text/x-diff 18.4 KB
v4-0002-Remove-column-for-wait-event-names-in-wait_event_.patch text/x-diff 52.5 KB