Re: zstd compression for pg_dump

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, gkokolatos(at)pm(dot)me, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dipesh Pandit <dipesh(dot)pandit(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: zstd compression for pg_dump
Date: 2023-04-06 16:10:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 06, 2023 at 05:34:30PM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> I looked at the long mode patch again, updated the commit message and
> pushed it. I was wondering if long_mode should really be bool -
> logically it is, but ZSTD_CCtx_setParameter() expects int. But I think
> that's fine.

Thanks!

> I think that's all for PG16 in this patch series. If there's more we want to
> do, it'll have to wait for PG17 -

Yes

> Justin, can you update and submit the patches that you think are relevant for
> the next CF?

Yeah.

It sounds like a shiny new feature, but it's not totally clear if it's safe
here or even how useful it is. (It might be like my patch for
wal_compression=zstd:level, and Michael's for toast_compression=zstd, neither
of which saw any support).

Last year's basebackup thread had some interesting comments about safety of
threads, although pg_dump's considerations may be different.

The patch itself is trivial, so it'd be fine to wait until PG16 is released to
get some experience. If someone else wanted to do that, it'd be fine with me.

--
Justin