Re: New docs chapter on Transaction Management and related changes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New docs chapter on Transaction Management and related changes
Date: 2022-11-08 03:41:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 10:58:05AM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> What I've posted is the merged patch, i.e. your latest patch, plus
> changes to RELEASE SAVEPOINT from you on Oct 16, plus changes based on
> the later comments from Robert and I.

Thanks. I have two changes to your patch. First, I agree "destroy" is
the wrong word for this, but I don't think "subcommit" is good, for
three reasons:

1. Release merges the non-aborted changes into the previous transaction
_and_ frees their resources --- "subcommit" doesn't have both meanings,
which I think means if we need a single word, we should use "release"
and later define what that means.

2. The "subcommit" concept doesn't closely match the user-visible
behavior, even though we use subtransactions to accomplish this. Release
is more of a rollup/merge into the previously-active
transaction/savepoint.

3. "subcommit" is an implementation detail that I don't think we should
expose to users in the manual pages.

I adjusted the first paragraph of RELEASE SAVEPOINT to highlight the
above issues. My original patch had similar wording.

The first attachment shows my changes to your patch, and the second
attachment is my full patch.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Indecision is a decision. Inaction is an action. Mark Batterson

Attachment Content-Type Size
patches.diff text/x-diff 2.4 KB
xact.diff text/x-diff 23.9 KB