Re: Kerberos delegation support in libpq and postgres_fdw

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Kerberos delegation support in libpq and postgres_fdw
Date: 2023-02-17 09:27:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Michael Paquier (michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz) wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 02:05:39PM -0700, Jacob Champion wrote:
> > It's not prevented, because a password is being used. In my tests I'm
> > connecting as an unprivileged user.
> >
> > You're claiming that the middlebox shouldn't be doing this. If this new
> > default behavior were the historical behavior, then I would have agreed.
> > But the cat's already out of the bag on that, right? It's safe today.
> > And if it's not safe today for some other reason, please share why, and
> > maybe I can work on a patch to try to prevent people from doing it.
>
> Please note that this has been marked as returned with feedback in the
> current CF, as this has remained unanswered for a bit more than three
> weeks.

There's some ongoing discussion about how to handle outbound connections
from the server ending up picking up credentials from the server's
environment (that really shouldn't be allowed unless specifically asked
for..), that's ultimately an independent change from what this patch is
doing.

Here's an updated version which does address Robert's concerns around
having this disabled by default and having options on both the server
and client side saying if it is to be enabled or not. Also added to
pg_stat_gssapi a field that indicates if credentials were proxied or not
and made some other improvements and added additional regression tests
to test out various combinations.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment Content-Type Size
gss_delegation_v2.patch text/x-diff 49.1 KB