Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace on the fly

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Alexey Kondratov <a(dot)kondratov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Steve Singer <steve(at)ssinger(dot)info>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jose Luis Tallon <jltallon(at)adv-solutions(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace on the fly
Date: 2020-12-03 01:19:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 03:10:13PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Well, my impression is that both of you kept exchanging patches,
> touching and reviewing each other's patch (note that Alexei has also
> sent a rebase of 0002 just yesterday), so I think that it is fair to
> say that both of you should be listed as authors and credited as such
> in the release notes for this one.

OK, this one is now committed. As of this thread, I think that we are
going to need to do a bit more once we add options that are not just
booleans for both commands (the grammar rules do not need to be
changed now):
- Have a ReindexParams, similarly to VacuumParams except that we store
the results of the parsing in a single place. With the current HEAD,
I did not see yet the point in doing so because we just need an
integer that maps to a bitmask made of ReindexOption.
- The part related to ReindexStmt in utility.c is getting more and
more complicated, so we could move most of the execution into
indexcmds.c with some sort of ExecReindex() doing the option parsing
job, and go to the correct code path depending on the object type
dealt with.
--
Michael