RE: ECPG bug fix: DECALRE STATEMENT and DEALLOCATE, DESCRIBE

From: "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Kyotaro Horiguchi' <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: ECPG bug fix: DECALRE STATEMENT and DEALLOCATE, DESCRIBE
Date: 2021-07-12 04:05:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Horiguchi-san,

Thank you for reviewing! I attached new version.
Sorry for delaying reply.

> Since we don't allow descriptors with the same name even if they are
> for the different connections, I think we can set the current
> connection if any (which is set either by AT option or statement-bound
> one) to i->connection silently if i->connection is NULL in
> lookup_descriptor(). What do you think about this?

I tried to implement. Is it correct?

> connection is "conn1" at the error time. The parser relies on
> output_statement and friends for connection name reset. So the rules
> that don't call the functions need to reset it by themselves.

Oh, I didn't notice that. Fixed.
I'm wondering why a output function is not implemented, like output_describe_statement(),
but anyway I put a connection reset in ecpg.addons.

> Similary, the following sequence doesn't yield an error, which is
> expected.
>
> > EXEC SQL AT conn1 DECLARE stmt STATEMENT;
> > EXEC SQL AT conn2 EXECUTE stmt INTO ..;
>
> In this case "conn2" set by the AT option is silently overwritten with
> "conn1" by check_declared_list(). I think we should reject AT option
> (with a different connection) in that case.

Actually this comes from Oracle's specification. Pro*C precompiler
overwrite their connection in the situation, hence I followed that.
But I agree this might be confused and I added the warning report.
How do you think? Is it still strange?

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED

Attachment Content-Type Size
v03-0001-fix-deallocate-describe.patch application/octet-stream 6.3 KB
v03-0002-add-test.patch application/octet-stream 12.5 KB