RE: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15

From: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Pavel Stehule' <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15
Date: 2021-04-16 07:00:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
I am sorry, but in this topic we have different opinions. The variables in PLpgSQL are not transactional too (same is true in Perl, Python, ...). Session variables in Oracle, MS SQL, DB2, MySQL are not transactional too. My primary focus is PLpgSQL - and I would like to use schema variables as global plpgsql variables (from PLpgSQL perspective) - that means in Postgres's perspective session variables. But in Postgres, I have to write features that will work with others PL too - PLPython, PLPerl, ... Statement SET in ANSI/SQL standard (SQL/PSM) doesn't expect transactional behaviour for variables too. Unfortunately SET keyword is used in Postgres for GUC, and isn't possible to reuse without a compatibility break.

The PostgreSQL configuration is transactional, but it is a different feature designed for different purposes. Using GUC like session variables is just a workaround. It can be useful for some cases, sure. But it is not usual behaviour. And for other cases the transactional behaviour is not practical. Schema variables are not replacement of GUC, schema variables are not replacement of temporal tables. There is a prepared patch for global temp tables. I hope so this patch can be committed to Postgres 15. Global temp tables fixes almost all disadvantages of temporary tables in Postgres. So the schema variable is not a one row table. It is a different creature - designed to support the server's side procedural features.

+1
I understand (and wish) this feature is intended to ease migration from Oracle PL/SQL, which will further increase the popularity of Postgres. So, the transactional behavior is not necessary unless Oracle has such a feature.

Furthermore, Postgres already has some non-transactonal SQL commands. So, I don't think we need to reject non-transactional LET.

* Sequence operation: SELECT nextval/setval
* SET [SESSION]
* SET ROLE
* SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION

I have prepared a patch that allows non default transactional behaviour (but this behaviour should not be default - I didn't design schema variables as temp tables replacement). This patch increases the length of the current patch about 1/4, and I have enough work with rebasing with the current patch, so I didn't send it to commitfest now. If schema variables will be inside core, this day I'll send the patch that allows transactional behaviour for schema variables - I promise.

I prefer the simpler, targeted one without transactional behavior initially, because added complexity might prevent this feature from being committed in PG 15.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa