Build report for 6.4 BETA2 on Digital Unix 4.0d

From: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
Subject: Build report for 6.4 BETA2 on Digital Unix 4.0d
Date: 1998-10-29 17:49:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, all.

I've just compiled 6.4 BETA2 on my DU 4.0d system with DEC C, and have
also run the regression tests.

I had the following problems when building:

1 - The DEC C preprocessor doesn't accept input from stdin. configure
tries to use "cc -E -", but it doesn't work. According to Tom Lane, this
should be fixed in BETA4. I worked around this problem patching
Gen_fmgrtab.sh.in and genbki.sh.in as suggested by Thomas Lockhart in an
earlier message.

2 - I got many warnings complaining that MAP_FILE was redefined. Indeed,
MAP_FILE is defined by many systems in "sys/mman.h", as it is used with
mmap(2) and friends. MAP_FILE in include/libpq/hba.h should be renamed to
something like PG_MAP_FILE.

3 - I had to add the option '-std' to the compiler flags when compiling in
interfaces/libpq. This one is platform-specific.

4 - I had to edit Makefile.tcldefs in pl/tcl. Digital Unix uses 'ld
-shared -expect_unresolved "*"' to generate shared libraries, and so it is
specified in my system's /usr/local/lib/tclConfig.sh. However, somwhere in
the config process the quotes around the asterisk dissappeared, and so the
shell expanded the asterisk. I had to put the quotes back. I didn't have
the time to investigate more.

The following regression tests failed:

- char, varchar

They failed because for some obscure reason 'A' is considered greater than
'a'. I won't be able to investigate on this until tomorrow.

- int2, int4

They failed because of differences in the expected error message, so they
are ok.

- int8

The int8 type is completely brain damaged on my system. Strange, because
Digital Unix is a true 64 bit system. Again, I'll try to look at it
tomorrow.

- float8

It had one error-message-format error (not really an error) and one real
error ("exp() result is out of range" when no error was expected).

- abstime, tinterval, horology

Seems to be a time zone problem, though I ran the test with TZ=PST8PDT. I
haven't had time to investigate deeper.

- select_implicit, select_having, random, rules, plpgsql

I haven't had time to look at these. I'll look at them tomorrow.

Greetings,

Pedro.

Pedro José Lobo Perea Tel: +34 91 336 78 19
Centro de Cálculo Fax: +34 91 331 92 29
EUIT Telecomunicación - UPM e-mail: pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es