Re: [HACKERS] 6.4 BETA2 fails to compile on Digital Unix 4.0d

From: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 6.4 BETA2 fails to compile on Digital Unix 4.0d
Date: 1998-10-29 16:40:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

>> I am testing 6.4 on a DU 4.0d system using DEC's (well, Compaq's) C
>> compiler, gmake 3.75, bison 1.25 and flex 2.5.4, and I've found two
>> problems.
>> Any hints?
>
>I'm guessing that you have a problem with having your "cpp" preprocessor
>pick up input from a pipe (stdin). Just yesterday Tom Lane fixed that by
>no longer requiring cpp or equivalent to do that. Can you look at your
>configure results and verify that the conclusions it reaches about CPP
>and CPPSTDIN are correct?

It seems that you won the prize :-) I have patched Gen_fmgrtab.sh.in and
genbki.sh.in and executed configure again, and now it is compiling fine.

One "minor" problem is that I am getting many warnings complaining that
MAP_FILE is being redefined. Indeed, it is defined in
/usr/include/sys/mman.h (a system header file) for being used with mmap
and friends, and is redefined in include/libpq/hba.h. Since hba.h is
parsed after mmap.h and the preprocessor uses the last value seen
everything is allright, but I think that MAP_FILE should be renamed to
something like PG_MAP_FILE. Maybe it can wait for 6.4.1 or 6.5, but it
should be done.

I'll post a complete report if/when the build ends and (hopefully) the
regression tests are completed.

Pedro José Lobo Perea Tel: +34 91 336 78 19
Centro de Cálculo Fax: +34 91 331 92 29
EUIT Telecomunicación - UPM e-mail: pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es