Re: Unix Domain Sockets error (was Re: [HACKERS] Alpha initdb fixed!)

From: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
To: Dwayne Bailey <dwayne(at)mika(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unix Domain Sockets error (was Re: [HACKERS] Alpha initdb fixed!)
Date: 1998-03-18 11:00:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Dwayne Bailey wrote:

>Re: your suggestion to use __alpha and not worry about the
>makefile, I'm a little uncomfortable with that. DEC's cc will
>actually output different symbols, depending on the use of the
>- -std flag. I'd rather have something that we have explicit
>control over, rather than relying on the compiler like this. I'm
>not violently opposed to useing __alpha or anything, it's just a
>preference against it.

Here's an extract from the DEC's cc man page:

The following table shows which macros are defined for each of the -std
flags.

Macro std0 std std1
(default)
LANGUAGE_C yes no no
__LANGUAGE_C__ yes yes yes
unix yes no no
__unix__ yes yes yes
__osf__ yes yes yes
__alpha yes yes yes
SYSTYPE_BSD yes no no
_SYSTYPE_BSD yes yes yes
LANGUAGE_ASSEMBLY yes yes yes
__LANGUAGE_ASSEMBLY__ yes yes yes

As you can see, __alpha and __osf__ are always defined. However, I
understand your point. If we define 'alpha' in the template file, we are
protected from mind-changing vendors that define __alpha in DU 3.2 and
__alpha__ in DU 4.0 and alpha__ in DU 5.0 (just an example). From this
point of view, the current approach is better. And, it's always easier
(and safer) to leave things untouched.

Pedro José Lobo Perea Tel: +34 1 336 78 19
Centro de Cálculo Fax: +34 1 331 92 29
EUIT Telecomunicación - UPM e-mail: pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es