Alpha initdb fixed!

From: Dwayne Bailey <dwayne(at)mika(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Alpha initdb fixed!
Date: 1998-03-16 21:22:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've gotten 6.3 initdb to run to a successful completion on my
Alpha running OSF/1 V3.2c. Forget the change that I sent in
earlier. While I still think that there's something funky with
that code, it doesn not need to be modifed. Actually, the
modifications are miniscule. The only files that need to be
changed are backend/main/main.c and template/alpha.

The real trick is to add -Dalpha to the CFLAGS setting. The
changes to main.c are only to add some extra includes to support
some code that's suddenly being used.

The #define ASSEMBLER is to prevent most of the code of
sys/proc.h from being included, as it ends up conflicting with
some of the postgresql definitions. This may or may not work on
other versions of Digital Unix.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a hack fix. There's still some
underlying 32/64 bit assumtions that this is masking. Perhaps
I'll make that my pet project.

Here are the diffs for the two files that I modified:

*** backend/main/main.c Mon Mar 16 15:53:26 1998
- --- backend/main/main.c.orig Mon Mar 16 16:05:07 1998
***************
*** 15,28 ****
#include <string.h>
#include <unistd.h>

- - #ifdef alpha
- - #include <sys/sysinfo.h>
- - #include <machine/hal_sysinfo.h>
- - #define ASSEMBLER
- - #include <sys/proc.h>
- - #undef ASSEMBLER
- - #endif
- -
#include "postgres.h"
#ifdef USE_LOCALE
#include <locale.h>
- --- 15,20 ----

*** template/alpha Mon Mar 16 16:06:08 1998
- --- template/alpha.orig Mon Mar 16 16:11:25 1998
***************
*** 5,11 ****
# This is defined here because a bunch of clients include tmp/c.h,
# which is where the work is done on HP-UX. It only affects the
# backend on Ultrix and OSF/1.
! CFLAGS:-DNOFIXADE -Dalpha
SHARED_LIB:
ALL:
SRCH_INC:
- --- 5,11 ----
# This is defined here because a bunch of clients include tmp/c.h,
# which is where the work is done on HP-UX. It only affects the
# backend on Ultrix and OSF/1.
! CFLAGS:-DNOFIXADE
SHARED_LIB:
ALL:
SRCH_INC:

- --
Dwayne Bailey + WHAT is your name? Sir Galahad
MIKA Systems, Bingham Farms, MI + WHAT is your quest? I Seek the Holy Grail
dwayne(at)mika(dot)com + What is your favorite color?
http://www.mika.com/~dwayne + Blue ... no, Yelloooooooooooooooooow
finger dwayne(at)mika20(dot)mika(dot)com for PGP Public Key