Re: inserting values into types

From: Yasir Malik <ymalik(at)cs(dot)stevens-tech(dot)edu>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: inserting values into types
Date: 2004-12-05 04:13:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

>> CREATE TYPE qwerty_UDT AS (abc INT);
>>
>> CREATE TABLE t (col1 qwerty_UDT);
>>
>> INSERT INTO t (col1) VALUES (qwerty_UDT(123));
>>
>> ERROR: function qwerty_udt(integer) does not exist
>> HINT: No function matches the given name and argument types. You may need to add explicit type casts.

It seems as though you want to create your own user-defined types. That
isn't easy in PostgreSQL. You have to create an external C struct and
write a function to convert a PostgreSQL string to a C struct and return
it to the database (called an input function), and create another function
that takes an object from the database and returns a string to the
database in order to print out the object (called an output function).
The only thing PostgreSQL knows about the object is size of the object and
the input and output functions. You also need to be the database
administrator. Go here for more information:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/xtypes.html

I had to create an object-oriented database for one of my classes, and
although I wanted to use PostgreSQL, I didn't want to deal with so low
level stuff. Oracle is much better for object-oriented features.

Regards,
Yasir