Re: Bumping block size to 16K on FreeBSD...

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: David Schultz <dschultz(at)uclink(dot)Berkeley(dot)EDU>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bumping block size to 16K on FreeBSD...
Date: 2003-08-29 03:29:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, David Schultz wrote:

> (2) Make BLCKSZ a runtime constant, stored as part of the database.

Now this I really like. It would make benchmarking 8K vs. 16K blocksizes
much easer, as well as of course avoiding the "initdb required after
rebuilding" problem.

BTW, pretty much every BSD system is going to be using 16K block sizes
on large partitions; the cylinder group size and filesystem overhead is
way, way too small when using 8K blocks.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.NetBSD.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC