Re: [HACKERS] First mega-patch...

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Andrew Martin <martin(at)biochemistry(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] First mega-patch...
Date: 1998-03-17 13:16:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Andrew Martin wrote:

> > The file can be found in
> >
> > ftp.postgresql.org:/pub/patches/.test/v6.3p1.tar.gz
> >
> > and is hidden from public view...
> >
> > *NOTE: This is not to be discussed in any other mailing list, period, or
> > you will lose your secret decoder ring, and we'll have to cut off
> > your hands so that you can't do the secret handshake anymore*
> >

> Geesh! Why the secrecy? Surely the more people who test it the better. Look
> at the number of bugs that have turned up in the last 2 weeks since 6.3
> was released - none of them *terribly* serious, but a fair number none
> the less.
>
> Has Marc suddenly taken some sort of commercial attitude???? (Give the
> customer a product - who cares if it hasn't been tested by as many
> people as possible - we can charge for an upgrade :-)

No, Marc's attitude hasn't changed at all...pgsql-hackers is the
place where *development* issues take place, and it is the *only* list
where discussing *any* pre-release software. If someone on
pgsql-questions (a *GENERIC*, how to *USE* PostgreSQL list) is interested,
they are more then welcome to join pgsql-hackers...