Re: Recommend dba maintenance tasks on a regular bases

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Barbara Stephenson <barbara(at)turbocorp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recommend dba maintenance tasks on a regular bases
Date: 2008-10-06 19:22:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

That output looks good with your settings. It means you are using 501 of the
1000 max_fsm_relations and 57328 of the 153600 max_fsm_pages.

The check_postgres.pl nagios plugin that Greg Sabino Mullane maintains
recently added a check for FSM settings. Check it out here:

http://bucardo.org/check_postgres/check_postgres.pl.html#fsm_pages

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Barbara Stephenson wrote:

> HI Jeff,
> Thank you for the link to explain FSM however I understand the concept where
> it would be faster to know where to store data based on an insert or an
> update but the results of the last few lines of the verbose I still don't get
> it.
>
> Our max_fsm_relations = 1000 and max_fsm_pages=153600
>
> We have auto vacuum running and below is the last few lines from a vacuum
> verbose statement. Can you explain and do I need to adjust our settings?
>
> INFO: free space map contains 51228 pages in 501 relations
> DETAIL: A total of 57328 page slots are in use (including overhead).
> 57328 page slots are required to track all free space.
> Current limits are: 153600 page slots, 1000 relations, using 965 kB.
>
> Jeff Frost wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Barbara Stephenson wrote:
>>> 1- pg_dump - binary dump every midday and nightly
>>> 2 - auto vacuum

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/