Re: Preliminary patch for tsearch example dictionaries/parsers in contrib

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Sergey V(dot) Karpov" <karpov(at)sao(dot)ru>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Preliminary patch for tsearch example dictionaries/parsers in contrib
Date: 2007-10-09 19:02:43
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Sergey V. Karpov wrote:
>> Built-in regex engine seems to not support the one feature critical to
>> the dict_regex operation - it is not able to report the "partial match"
>> in a case when the matching fails solely due to premature end of input
>> string (i.e. when matching may possibly succeed after adding some data
>> to the string).
>>
>> If it is possible to achieve this behaviour with built-in engine, please
>> point me to the right direction.
>>

> Adding new code at this stage of the process is bad enough. Adding new code
> which adds a library dependency we have not previously had at this stage of
> the process is quite unacceptable IMNSHO, and I will protest very loudly
> about it. Quite apart from anything else it will almost certainly break many
> buildfarm members.

good point.

> Are we in beta or not? To me, beta means nothing but bug fixes go in,
> period. No ifs, no buts, no maybes, no exceptions. And that should
> definitely go for contrib as well. We need a bit of self-discipline around
> here.

the original intention was to have text search companion with code examples
for dictionaries and parser API and ability to keep them in workable
condition, instead of having them in SGML documentation.
Of course, buildfarm checking is very important for this purpose and
I think we should remove dict_regex from ts_pack, but leave
README.dict_regex, so interested users could find it.

> cheers
>
> andrew

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83