Re: files to ignore during pitr base backup

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: files to ignore during pitr base backup
Date: 2005-10-25 19:29:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> It's safe to exclude those, but those are hardly the only files that
> might "disappear" in a live database. It'd be better to use a dump
> tool that's less picky about the source data changing under it. We've
> had similar reports about GNU tar being too smart for this purpose :-(

I would have thought that the pg_start_backup() function would tell the
postmasters not to take files out from under the base backup process?

In any event, if it's ok to ignore those, rsync conveniently has a specific
error code for that:

24 Partial transfer due to vanished source files

So I can just consider an exit code of 0 or 24 as both being success.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/