Re: Python interfaces

From: Cristian Gafton <gafton(at)rpath(dot)com>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Python interfaces
Date: 2006-09-18 20:48:19
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

>> I maintain a further split from PyGreSQL that supports native bind
>> parameters and prepared statements at:
>
> Just curious, why did you feel the need to split off another project?
> I don't recall ever seeing submissions from you for PyGreSQL. Did you
> have reason to believe that your submissions would have been rejected?

The reason I split it is is because the PostgreSQL native SQL format for
bind parameters is using the $1, $2... convention instead of the Python
style %(varname)s. I did not have an interest in maintaining the query
parser that translates the sql query between the two to keep compatibility
with those already using PyGreSQL.

Furthermore, the changes I have made to PygreSQL C layer are too extensive
for a "patch" - I know I would not accept something like that if it
arrived in my mailbox all of the sudden...

As a side note, I did sent you the patch; you replied I need to subscribe
to the pygresql mailing list and send it again there for review, whihc is
fine, but the pygresql mailing list processor has been on strike for the
past month or so - I keep trying to subscribe to it and it keeps telling
me to look after a confirmation email that never arrives. I did also let
you know of my subscribing woes with no reply back from you.

Anyway, the code is out there already - I needed to release it because of
the fair amount of interest generated in something like that - it is not
my intention to keep it split and I can contribute to PyGreSQL as soon as
I am enabled to do so instead of being stuck behind a mailing list
processor's issues.

Cheers,

Cristian
--