Re: Tablespaces

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Alex J(dot) Avriette" <alex(at)posixnap(dot)net>
Cc: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tablespaces
Date: 2004-02-26 21:22:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Alex J. Avriette wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:22:28PM +1100, Gavin Sherry wrote:
>
> > Certainly, table spaces are used in many ways in oracle, db2, etc. You can
> > mirror data across them, have different buffer sizes for example.
> > In some implementations, they can be raw disk partitions (no file system).
> > I don't intend going this far, however.
>
> Perhaps now would be a good time to bring up my directio on Solaris question
> from a year or so back? Is there any interest in the ability to use raw
> disk?

I do not intend to undertake raw disk tablespaces for 7.5. I'd be
interested if anyone could provide some real world benchmarking of file
system vs. raw disk. Postgres benefits a lot from kernel file system cache
at the moment. Also, I believe that database designers have traditionally
made bad file system designers. Raw database partitions often lack the
tools essential to a scalable environment. For example, the ability to
resize partitions.

Gavin