Re: Use arrays or not?

From: Achilleus Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Roelant Ossewaarde <miep(at)belboek(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Use arrays or not?
Date: 2004-04-30 05:49:41
Lists: pgsql-performance pgsql-sql

Just some comments from my experience:

PgSQL Arrays are mainly for modeling arrays not relations.
Arrays can be very useful if they are not ever gonna be treated
as relations and if performance is an issue (e.g. dynamic graphs, on the
fly statistics etc..).

Also (besides other solutions) int[] arrays is a handy way of implementing
tree structures in a database.

For your case as you set it the XML arrays will make your life difficult.

O kyrios Josh Berkus egrapse stis Apr 29, 2004 :

--
-Achilleus