DBD::Pg 1.30_1 WAS (Re: Prepare and prepare ?)

From: Rudy Lippan <rlippan(at)remotelinux(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rudy Lippan <rlippan(at)remotelinux(dot)com>, David Wheeler <david(at)wheeler(dot)net>, Dominic Mitchell <dom(at)semantico(dot)com>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'DBI developers'" <dbi-dev(at)perl(dot)org>
Subject: DBD::Pg 1.30_1 WAS (Re: Prepare and prepare ?)
Date: 2003-05-29 08:57:23
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Rudy, where are we on the release of DBD:pg withs your patches? Are
> they ready to go?

I spun an ALPHA copy of DBD::Pg. So much has changed in there that I am
sure something is broken for someone; therefore, I think we should let
people hammer on it for a few days before making an official release.

I put the alpha up here:
http://www.remotelinux.com/rlippan/DBD-Pg-1.30_1.tar.gz

And for anyone who is interested here is the change log:

- $dbh->prepare() rewrites the SQL statement into an internal for
striping out comments and whitespace, and if PostgreSQL > 7.3 takes
the
stripped statement and passes that to postgress' PREPARE statement,
then rewrites the statement as 'EXECUTE "DBD::PG::cached_query n"
($1, $2, ... $n, $n+1)' for DBD::Pg's execute. -- Currently
disabled
until PREPARE works a little better
- Allows the use of :n and :foo bind params. So: (SELECT * FROM foo
where
1 = :this and 2 = :that) will now work.
- Complains on execute when unbound bind params are submitted (instead
of
defaulting to NULL)
- Switched over to use driver.xst.
- pg_error() only removes \n's don't truncate message on first \n
- fixed statement scan problem where the preparse of
"SELECT foo[3:33] from bar" was scanning :33 as a placeholder
- moved the quoting of bind values out of execute() and into
bind -- as there is no need to requote the value every time execute
is called.
- :veryverylongplaceholdername == Long walk. Sort pier -- fixed.
- quote() is now in C and uses same code as bind_param.
- quoting and dequoting now use libpq quoting functions where
available
(I still need to take the libpq functions swiped out of quote.c and
move
it into libpqswip.c with license info &c., and switch ifndefs to
ifdefs)
- bind_param() will convert from 1,0 to TRUE/FALSE when pg_type is
PGBOOLOID.
- fixed many heap buffer overruns.