Re: Prepare and prepare ?

From: Rudy Lippan <rlippan(at)remotelinux(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dominic Mitchell <dom(at)semantico(dot)com>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>, David Wheeler <david(at)wheeler(dot)net>, <dbi-dev(at)perl(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Prepare and prepare ?
Date: 2003-03-26 04:29:07
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> To answer your question from a month ago :-), we should have CVS tagged
> the 1.21 release, but we forgot. I didn't think we were big enough to
> tag things. :-)

Bruce,

To respond to your message of a week or so ago :-)

I tagged it up a while ago -- Just so that I can keep myself sane.
I also created a Dev-1_3 branch because my patch conflicted with the array
patch that you merged [more on that later]. Anyway I applied my patch on
the Dev-1_3 branch -- I did this because it conflicted with the uft_8 patch
and I think there was some interest in putting out a utf enable release
before 1_3.

One thing to note about the Dev-1_3 tree I disabled the server-side
prepare of statements because what I was doing to hack them in was causing
more problems that it was was worth. If we can get a clean way for the
server to prepare statements, I will re-enable server-side prepares, and I
don't think that bind_param(":foo", 1, {type=>'varchar'}) is the way to
go. So, Basically what I am want is for the server to either 1. ignore
the type checking and only do that at execute time, or 2. give me a list of
types. This should not be to

Now, about the array patch in cvs: I looked it over and I don't
particularly like it for a couple of reasons: 1. the av_shift() and
av_clear() modify the array that was passed in, so if you pass in an
array, all of the data in your array will vanish. 2. escaped quotes can
confuse things 3. isn't sv_catpv a bit expensive to be used there, why not
just malloc what is needed before escaping the string? 4. It conflicts
with the direction I was moving WRT quoting :-) take a look at the way
that Dev-1_3 handles quoting. To do the array quoting I am thinking about
making the quote_* functions take an SV and the dequote_* functions return
an SV. :) 5. The patch does not handle dequoting of arrays.

I have been sitting on getting a developer release out for a little while
now, and I would like to get that out, so that I can get some feed back
and move forward with the other things that I want to get working (like
array quoting/dequoting, full UTF8 support, begin_work(),
quote_identifier, &c.)

Actually, what I have been sitting on is getting a PAUSE ID, which I just
requested :-)

Later,

Rudy.