Re: Prepare and prepare ?

From: Rudy Lippan <rlippan(at)remotelinux(dot)com>
To: David Wheeler <david(at)wheeler(dot)net>
Cc: Kaare Rasmussen <kar(at)kakidata(dot)dk>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <dbi-dev(at)perl(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Prepare and prepare ?
Date: 2003-02-05 03:46:21
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I just happend upon this message while catching up on pgsql-interfaces...

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, David Wheeler wrote:

> Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:31:11 -0800
> From: David Wheeler <david(at)wheeler(dot)net>
> To: Kaare Rasmussen <kar(at)kakidata(dot)dk>
> Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Prepare and prepare ?
>
> On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 06:34 AM, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
>
> > I saw some previous mailings re DBI's prepare ind DBD::Pg.
> > I'm not sure what the state is for supporting the prepare in
> > PostgreSQL 7.3.1?
>
> I'm planning to implement a new PostgreSQL DBI driver with prepare
> support, but paying work has come between me and that project. It's
> going to be a while before I can get back to it, I think.
>
> Meanwhile, you can use DBD::Pg and its prepare method, and when I
> finally get around to writing the new driver, you should be able to
> upgrade without much difficulty.

Back over Thanksgiving, I kludged together a proof of concept
'DBD::ChurlPg' that does serverside prepare() for DML statements [among
some other things that I wanted.] I did this for myself, so I was not
going to show it to anyone, but what the heck.

If you are intersted in taking a look, the code is here:
http://www.remotelinux.com/rlippan/ There is some uglyness in there and
rows() is broken (it is using default from driver.xst), but otherwise it
has been working for me for the past few months.

I'd love to get some feedback on the changes that I made. And if wanted
(read other's will think that the changes are useful), I will clean up the
code and port the changes over to the latest version of DBD::Pg.

-r