Re: [HACKERS] Proposed GUC Variable

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Proposed GUC Variable
Date: 2002-08-28 18:29:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Christopher Kings-Lynne writes:

> Do you think that 'original query: ..' looks a bit like bad english? Should
> it be properly capitalised? ie. 'Original query: ...'? Just nitpicking...

I find it's generally better to not capitalize anything in program
messages, unless the sentence/paragraph nature is very evident. Otherwise
you get drawn into a big deal about which messages are sentences or
qualifying fragments, it creates inconsistencies if your messages get
embedded into other messages, and the next day you start thinking about
putting periods at the end, which is a really bad idea.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net