Re: pgaccess failed, used to work

From: Holger Marzen <holger(at)marzen(dot)de>
To: Eric Webber <streethockey(at)ureach(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgaccess failed, used to work
Date: 2002-02-14 06:45:30
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Eric Webber wrote:

> pgaccess used to work fine, now I get this, I changed nothing,
>
> have no idea why, anyone else see this. only thing I did
> was restart X. doesnt matter which user either
>
> regards,
> Eric streethockey(at)ureach(dot)com
>
> pgaccess &
> [1] 19239
> [root(at)gims X11]# Application initialization failed: couldn't connect to display "192.168.0.3"

Don't work as root!

It seems that you did a "su" or "telnet" to your local or another
machine and then started pgaccess. Either your DISPLAY variable isn't
correct (it should be something like 192.168.0.3:0 - ipaddress of the
machine where your X-server runs and a display number, eg 0 for the
first X-server) or you forgot to issue a "xhost +xxx" where xxx is the
name or the ip address of the machine running pgaccess.

It is no pgaccess problem. xclock won't work, either. I recommend using
ssh with enabled X11-forwarding, that does the job of setting DISPLAY
and permissions automagically.

--
PGP/GPG Key-ID:
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB5A1AFE1