Re: SSL Connection help, pls...

From: Richard Troy <rtroy(at)ScienceTools(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSL Connection help, pls...
Date: 2010-01-28 16:20:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Tom Lane wrote:

> Richard Troy <rtroy(at)ScienceTools(dot)com> writes:
> > Although I think I've got everything configured correctly, I'm not getting
> > ssl encrypted connections to be accepted. Also, havent' figured out how to
> > tell psql to try _only_ an ssl-type connection.
>
> I don't know the answer to your problems offhand, but a few suggestions:
>
> * Read the version of the docs corresponding to your server version,
> not earlier or later ones. This stuff changes.

Thanks, Tom, I hadn't thought any of this had changed since before version
7, or at the least had been pretty consistent through v 8, but that's a
silly assumption on my part!

> * Look in the postmaster log to see what gets logged during a failed
> connection attempt.

Of course! -duh!-

Depending on which test, I get either:

LOG: could not accept SSL connection: sslv3 alert certificate unknown
LOG: could not accept SSL connection: peer did not return a certificate

...which seems to (strongly) suggest that it's requiring not only an
encrypted connection but that the user present a certificate.

> * I do know about try-only-SSL, it's driven by an environment variable:
> export PGSSLMODE=require

Good to know.

> * The docs only cover SSL in the context of psql and other libpq-based
> clients. For JDBC you should probably ask on pgsql-jdbc. But try to
> get psql working first.

Yes, I agree.

I have been thinking about updating all my systems to the same (latest)
version - perhaps it's time to do that and then see where things are.

Thanks for your suggestions, Tom,
Richard

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist