Re: error in upper()

From: Richard Troy <rtroy(at)ScienceTools(dot)com>
To: Klaus Ita <klaus(dot)ita(at)ai(dot)wu-wien(dot)ac(dot)at>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: error in upper()
Date: 2006-08-19 16:49:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Klaus,

I must have missed the bug submitted about this, but as a student of
German I took particular interest in your post.

I'm unaware of any upper case or lower case for 'ß', just as there is no
upper or lower case for '@'. So, I'd expect the function to pass it
through. It's not - or shouldn't be - the business of upper() or lower()
to translate your characters for you which haven't got an appropriate
upper or lower case version...

Rgds,
Richard

--