Re: Please help: PHP4/postgres db woes

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: "Danny O'Brien" <dannyo(at)steinrogan(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Please help: PHP4/postgres db woes
Date: 2004-03-05 18:47:05
Lists: pgsql-php

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Danny O'Brien wrote:

> Any postgre experts out there? We have a PHP4 site that worked fine
> under a previous RedHat build, but we just can't get it working on this
> Debian build.
>
> Here's what we're running:
>
> Debian 3.0r1 "woody"
> Kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4
> Apache 1.3.26-0woo
> postgres 7.2.1-2wood
> php 4.1.2-6wood

If you can upgrade the above to the latest, that would be a good thing.
Especially postgresql. At the very least, upgrade postgresql to 7.2.5 or
whatever the last version of 7.2 was.

> We've applied a script sent to us by the original programmers, that
> installed several logins and passwords.
> But when we go to login to our PHP site, our login is rejected.

How are logins handled, via apache authentication, or custom PHP code?

do you mean apache / web site authentication, or pgsql authentication is
failing?

> I've taken the following actions:
> 3) Altered the pg_hba.conf (located in /etc/postgresql) to reflect the
> following, and re-started postgre:
>
> #local all ident
> sameuser
> local all trust
> host all 127.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 ident
> sameuser
> host all 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 reject

You might want to try setting it to just trust on local and host
127.0.0.1/255.0.0.0 for testing to see if that lets you in.

> 4) Made sure that the php4-pgsql module is present -- I did an
> "apt-get" for this last week

If you make a simple page that has this in it:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

what do you get (look in the apache httpd.conf file for the extensions
php is setup to handle. you may need to edit this and restart apache.

> 5) Examined the postgres.log for clues -- the log file is empty,
> indicating that no login attempts have been made -- I suppose because
> the auth.php has not found the DB?

If auth.php is not finding the db, what kind of error is it giving.
More details make it easier to troubleshoot your problem.

> 6) pg_exec call deprecated under PHP 4.2.0 and replaced with pg_query:
> since we're using php 4.1.2-6wood, it seems that this does not apply to
> our setup. Correct?

Not a problem. While the function name is deprecate, it is still
supported, at least through php 4.3.4, which I'm running on my
workstation:

$ php -v
PHP 4.3.4 (cli) (built: Dec 4 2003 11:34:30)
Copyright (c) 1997-2003 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2003 Zend Technologies
$ php -q
<?php
pg_exec();
?>
PHP Warning: Wrong parameter count for pg_exec() in - on line 2

Warning: Wrong parameter count for pg_exec() in - on line 2

So it sees it as a valid command.

> All suggestions welcome. Solution guaranteed posted to the list.

Post your error messages.