Re: Fw: PATCH (Re: Startup message issues)

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Chris Smith <cdsmith(at)twu(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fw: PATCH (Re: Startup message issues)
Date: 2004-02-14 19:30:46
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Chris Smith wrote:

> Kris Jurka wrote:
> > Patch applied. In the future please submit patches based on cvs
> > instead of the 7.4 code. Driver development is now being done here:
> >
> > http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgjdbc/projdisplay.php
>
> Thanks. I had actually submitted that patch for review, though. I'm not
> entirely confident that it's correct at this point. All the unit tests pass,
> but I'm still thinking about when I said the encoding field to UNICODE, and
> learning a lot more about the source as time goes on.

Well, I didn't just blindly apply it. I read it, did some testing, and
actually modified it slightly. You had a comment saying V2 when you meant
V3 protocol. In StartupPacket I put the user and database variables into
the params Hashtable. (I'm not convinced this is much better, but I was
playing with this idea and thats how things ended up when I was ready to
commit.) My only concern about the code is that String.getBytes is called
in StartupPacket without specifying an encoding. I think this is
potentially a problem depending on the user's encoding and if the values
for username and database name. The code has been this way since it was
originally written, so that's no reason not to commit your patch.

> I have just grabbed a version of the driver from CVS. I have a bit of a
> conflict here because I'm being paid to get stuff working under 7.4.1 for our
> production application; but if there's not a huge amount of effort involved,
> I'll try to submit patches for CVS instead.

Working for a 7.4.1 database or working for the 7.4.1 jar file? As you
have noticed the driver has a bunch of backwards compatibility stuff, so
you know the cvs driver will happing run against older versions of the
database.

> (By the way, where should I send JDBC driver patches in the future that I
> intend to be committed. I've realized just now that I'm the only person
> sending them here.)

People send them here, just rather infrequently. Keep them coming.

Kris Jurka