Re: qsort (was Re: Solaris) (fwd)

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: <nolan(at)celery(dot)tssi(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: qsort (was Re: Solaris) (fwd)
Date: 2003-04-29 20:19:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 nolan(at)celery(dot)tssi(dot)com wrote:

> > dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com (Mike Castle) writes:
> > > Better yet: Anyway of running performance tests from configure?
> >
> > Peter will object to that because of cross-compilation issues; and I'll
> > object because I run configure often enough that I don't want it to take
> > the time that would be needed for a reliable performance test ...
>
> I would think that any performance testing would belong in the regression
> suite. And as anyone who lived through the TPC-A/B/C wars knows, it is
> possible to write or tune to the test suite, which may or may not reflect
> reality. (Reality is SO variable!)

I always thought the best place to test is with a copy of your real
data... I'd certainly be willing to flip a ./configure switch or GUC to
test it myself. I'm sure others would too. But it's probably easy enough
to just hack the configure script myself. Or is this one of those things
that fraught with dependency issues?