Re: pgsql/doc TODO

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian - CVS <momjian(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql/doc TODO
Date: 2002-02-21 16:17:49
Lists: pgsql-committers

Tom Lane writes:

> > Bruce Momjian - CVS writes:
> > * Allow ability to easily build only certain interfaces (Marc)
> > We already have that:
> > make -C /what/ever install
>
> The ability is there in theory, but it's not documented very well.

Right, we could document these things.

> And I think Marc was also complaining about the download time to
> pull a full tarball when he only wanted to build client-side code.

I think Marc's problem was that he was using an inappropriate package
management system. On that other free operating system, you'd simply
download the precompiled postgresql-libs-xxx.rpm and install it on all the
virtual hosts. Marc insisted on using the FreeBSD port system's
compile-from-source approach every time. Instead he could have chosen to
build a FreeBSD binary package (which exist).

> Couldn't we construct a package that's just client-side code plus
> configure/build support?

Not easily, since there are a number of interdependencies between client
and server code. I guess it's possible, but then we're going to have a
big war about exactly which clients are "worthy". Honestly, I don't
believe in the necessity: If you need a client you have to have a server
somewhere, so you already have the code.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net