Re: Translation of the documentation

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Weiping He <laser(at)zhengmai(dot)com(dot)cn>
Cc: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>, <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Translation of the documentation
Date: 2002-01-10 03:36:13
Lists: pgsql-docs

Weiping He writes:

> Using cvs diff and patching little by little periodically would save many time
> (althought still lots of work to do). I wish the documentation of different language
> could be maintained somewhere using cvs, thus we could encourage users of
> different languages to use it and make it better, in fact, I've done four version of it,
> from 6.5, 7.0, 7.1 to 7.2, and it seems those docs did very well in pushing the usage
> of PostgreSQL in China.

That's a great accomplishment! If you would like a CVS server and cannot
set up one on your own site probably something can be worked out with
postgresql.org. If people would like to setting up an integrated build
system for general translations, I can try to help with that. We could
probably auto-build and display them on the web site, too. In fact, we've
had a couple of inquiries about this before, maybe it's time to do it now.

> And I wish the program messages could stable sometime later,
> especially those for backend, sometimes I'm doing `make update-po',
> there many message merged in and create too many `fuzzy' ones, and it
> would take lots of time to fix that. I can understand that, because there are
> many message still need to be done in source code, so I thing it's better
> for 7.3 loop to finished the whole NLS support.

I think once you've actually done a full translation, keeping up from
release to release should get much easier. Surely, there might be
hundreds of strings you have to fix, but that's a matter of maybe 3 to 5
hours of work per release, if you just sit down and do it once at the end.

I'm actually curious where NLS will go next release. This release has
been a nice experience.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net