Re: 7.1.3 fails to configure on Solaris 2.7

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.1.3 fails to configure on Solaris 2.7
Date: 2001-12-06 16:38:31
Lists: pgsql-ports

Henry B. Hotz writes:

> >Ah! No it doesn't. It can't find /usr/local/lib/libz.so. Let's
> >see there is a configure option for that isn't there? Setting
> >LD_RUN_PATH or something. . .
>
> OK, --with-libs=/usr/local/lib doesn't work; --enable-rpath doesn't
> work. Setting LD_RUN_PATH does.
>
> Seems like this should be mentioned in the INSTALL notes. Actually
> seems like this should be taken care of automatically, but maybe
> that's hard?

It should be taken care of automatically by the operating system. It's
not the task of PostgreSQL to tell your operating system how to find
shared libraries, or to override its decisions. We can only tell you when
something is (probably) wrong.

IMHO, the setup that the link editor can find a library but the run time
linker cannot is simply broken, but the choice how to fix it is yours.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net