Re: Status of ODBC driver managers on Unix

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Nick Gorham <nick(at)lurcher(dot)org>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Status of ODBC driver managers on Unix
Date: 2001-09-22 23:12:14
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Okay, I've implemented and committed the following:

--with-iodbc builds driver against iODBC's headers and -liodbcinst
--with-unixodbc builds driver against unixODBC's headers and -lodbcinst
(neither) what we had before
(both) doesn't work (too complicated right now)

(The patch looks larger than the change is conceptually because I moved
some of the common #ifndef WIN32 code into psqlodbc.h so we don't have to
repeat it everywhere.)

The --with-iodbc build works cleanly, which is to be expected.

The --with-unixodbc build issues a number of warnings about "assignment
from incompatible pointer type" and "int format, long int arg", which
point out 64-bit cleanness problems (on the part of our driver).

Remaining issues:

* libpsqlodbc vs. libodbcpsql: I followed this iODBC/unixODBC schism
right now, but I'm not sure I like it.

* Shared library version: The driver version shipped with unixODBC has a
completely different version number than our driver. Does it matter?
What should we do?

* The code still accesses the global odbcinst.ini file directly by name in
some places, rather than relying on the odbcinst library to find it.
This should be fixed, but I'm not sure how in each case. Maybe
something for Nick to look at.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter